Mental illness, behavioral issues, a broken home, death of a close family member, and violence in the community are a few examples of the struggles our clients must overcome. Without professional treatment, emotional and mental health issues can worsen and harm family life, school or work performance.
Mental Health Services for Children and Teens
- Therapists and/or psychologists provide individualized treatment to children and teens at local schools, at home and at our Family Centers.
- Treatment options include play therapy, cognitive-behavioral therapy, parent-child interaction therapy and evidence-based practices.
- When necessary, consultations with our psychiatrists and medication support are arranged.
- Child Specialists provide additional support and can also link the child's family to necessary resources.
- Specialized services are available for teens struggling with both mental health issues and substance abuse.
- Multidisciplinary Assessment Teams (MAT) are designed to ensure the immediate and comprehensive assessment of children and youth entering out-of-home placement. A collaborative effort among Foothill Family, the Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS), and the Department of Mental Health (DMH), the information gathered by this assessment is used to determine the most appropriate placement and services needed by the child(ren) to ensure that his/her needs will be met.
Emotional, behavioral and mental health problems in children often go untreated or even unnoticed until symptoms surface in the classroom and become barriers to learning and social functioning. To meet this need, Foothill Family has therapists who provide services at 170 schools in 16 school districts across the San Gabriel Valley to provide counseling to children.
- We provide professional counseling and mental health services to students at their elementary, middle or high school.
- When necessary, we provide family therapy, in-home services and link families to community resources.
- Group treatment on topics such as anger management, social skills, substance abuse treatment and trauma counseling are also available.
- Full Service Partnership (FSP) provides comprehensive, in-home mental health services to severely emotionally disturbed children up to 15 years old living in the San Gabriel and Pomona Valleys.
- Therapeutic Behavioral Services (TBS) provides short-term intensive support to children experiencing a life crisis or eminent life crisis by teaching the clients and their caregivers intervention strategies that help children change negative behavior.
- Wraparound works with children who have been removed from their homes and surrounds them with intensive support with the goal of establishing and further developing healthy family relationships that lead to a permanent home.
- Family Preservation provides in-home family counseling, referrals, case management and linkage to other necessary services so children can safely remain in their homes or return to their homes after an allegation of abuse has been made.
Our professional services reach out to underserved adults too. Couples wanting to improve their marriage, an adult struggling with anxiety or depression, or seniors raising their grandchildren are examples of adults who sometimes need professional counseling to overcome life's challenges.